Monday, May 02, 2005

Nappi-less, nappi-less...

It feels like a million years since I had to actually initiate any "child development" matters. By that, I mean, making decisions as to when Alfie will take the next step towards something. When they're really little, you decide everything - when they come off the breast to the bottle, when to introduce new and different foods, all that stuff. As they get older these sorts of decisions get taken out of your hands - you can't say, "Right now you can start counting up to three" or "please write your name today". You can encourage and assist but these things are out of your hands.

So, it was an unusual feeling yesterday to initiate something. Ladies and Gentlemen I give you: a child who went to bed with no nappy on last night.

We've built him up to the process and prepared him, bought extra bedding and a rubber sheet and made a star chart.

And it went - ok. First he got up four times in between 7.30 - 8.30 to wee, which is wierd because normally it's lights out, no noise for 12 hours, but we've put this down to nerves and novelty. Then, he made it all the way through until 6am, when he wet the bed - I'm putting that down to him waking and forgetting that he had no nappy on. Also, I think it's probably good for him to experience that feeling, as I'm pretty sure that he won't want to experience it again. Watch this space...

1 comment:

Dixie said...

I'm wishing you and Alfie luck. I imagine you'll have a few mishaps along the way but when he's got it down you're going to both be so happy.

*sniff* Little fella's growing up...